How to Recycle
What Is to Be Recycled
The following "Recyclable Materials" will be collected curbside by the Township. Effective January 1, 2008, the Township Recycling regulations changed to the following: all glass, plastic, tin and aluminum recyclable items can be placed in the same container for curbside pickup by the Township Recycling Department. Residents can place these items at the curb in containers no larger than 40 gallons. Do not put recycling in plastic bags.
The schedule for recycling material has remained the same; there are no changes in service. Please see schedule including the recycling section listing. The remaining material (newspaper, magazines and cardboard) are to be prepared using existing regulations as listed below.
How to Prepare It
Residents who wish to continue to separate their recycling material can do so at the Recycling Center on North Railroad Avenue. Residents in Fardale can still separate items at Company Number 4 Firehouse on Fardale Avenue on Saturdays between the hours of 8 am to 11:30 am. (Please check the schedule for the Saturdays this service is not available.) If there are any questions, please call the Department of Public Works at 201-529-3344.
- Newspapers: Newspapers must be bundled and string tied. No brown bags, magazines or junk mail are to be included in the bundles. Bundles should not be more than 30 pounds in weight.
- Magazines: must be bundled and string tied. No newspapers, brown bags or junk mail are to be included in the bundles. Bundles should not be more than 30 pounds in weight.
- Cardboard: Cardboard should be folded or cut and string tied in bundles weighing no more than 30 pounds. For large amounts of cardboard, call the recycling center for special arrangements.
- Aluminum and Metal Cans: Food and beverage cans only. All labels must be removed and insides should be rinsed clean.
- Glass: All glass goods should be rinsed clean and unbroken. No mirrors, plate glass, china, light bulbs, ceramic or porcelain goods will be collected.
- Plastic: Food and beverage containers. Plastic containers with Codes 1 through 7. Please remove all caps from plastic beverage containers.
All recyclables must be at curb by 7 am. Pick up starts at 7 am to each street is picked up once.
Items Not Accepted
The Township Recycling Center does not accept used motor oil, antifreeze, tires of any size, paint, paint cans or propane tanks of any size. These items can be disposed of through the Bergen County Utilities Authority Household Hazardous Waste Collection Program.
Contact 201-807-5825 for further information. In addition, refrigerators/freezers and air conditioners are not accepted at the Recycling Center. They are picked up at no charge by calling DPW at 201-529-3344 to schedule a pick up.